Posted July 27, 2015
|Offered By||Sarasota County Libraries and Historical Resources |
6062 Porter Way
|Salary||$42,411.20 - $60,611.20 may exceed depending upon experience|
|Name: Jennifer Perry |
Title: Public Services Manager
Phone: 941 861-5459
Fax: 941 861-5200
Archaeologist (Official Job Title: Business Professional II): This is professional work administering Sarasota County's Development Review Program described in Article III, Chapter 66 of the Sarasota County Code. Additionally this individual works with applicants to develop opportunities to protect cultural resources or mitigate adverse impacts. Increases public awareness of local history and prehistory.
- Perform all tasks associated with the review of development proposals for their impact on archaeological resources within the County and the development of standards for their protection.
- Refine Sarasota County's predictive model for archaeological resources.
- Develop and implement regulations for the protection of archaeological resources within the County.
- When resources are available, conduct archaeological investigations for the County and when fortuitous finds are discovered on development sites.
- Participates in the County Development Review Committee
- Ensures critical compliance with unmarked Human Burial laws on county and/or private lands.
- Implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost courtesy and respect.
- Produce promotional and educational information (including exhibits, flyers, brochures and maps) to inform citizens, County staff and staff from other agencies on the nature and value archaeological resources within the County.
- Responds to citizen inquiries on the significance of archaeological resources within the County.
- Gives oral presentations to community groups and local agencies to enhance understanding and promote preservation of archaeological resources within the County.
- Collaborates with other County departments to identify, document, protect and promote knowledge of archaeological resources within the County.
- Develops partnerships in the community to document and foster awareness of archaeological resources within the County.
- Serves as coordinator with State Historic Preservation office and other agencies and groups.
Survey and Inventory:
- Analyze and catalogue archaeological artifacts from the Historical Resources collection.
- Prepare Florida Site File forms and nominations to the Local and National Registers of Historic Places for archaeological resources within Sarasota County.
- Provides advice on identification and management of archaeological resources
- Oversees volunteers to assist in maintaining and cataloging the archaeological resources in the Historical Resources collection.
- Review proposals for the local historic designation of archaeological resources in accordance with Article IV of Chapter 66 of the Sarasota County Code.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Archaeology, Anthropology or related field and two (2) years of professional experience directly related to the position. Preferred Qualification: A Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in Archaeology, Anthropology or related field.
How to Apply
Apply online at http://www.scgov.net/HR/Pages/CareerOpportunities.aspx.