Posted April 11, 2014
|Offered By||State of Indiana, Adjutant General's Office |
711 N Pennsylvania St
|Salary||$1,488.00 bi-weekly; $38,688.00 annually|
Serves as the Architectural Historian focusing on cultural resources, specifically architectural resource compliance throughout the state of Indiana. The incumbent develops inventories of National Guard properties, historic resources and works with the Cultural Resource Manager to implement plans for their management in accordance with NHPA Section 110. Furthermore, Army Regulations AR 200-4 and the Department of Defense (DoD) Instruction 4715.3 require identification, evaluation, protection and management of cultural resources located on lands used for military activities.
- Assists the Cultural Resource Manager and the Military Department of Indiana (MDI) Supervisory Environmental Specialist in implementation of the Cultural Resources Program to ensure compliance with appropriate federal, state, and local regulations associated with identification, management and preservation of cultural resources under the control of the Indiana Army National Guard (INARNG);
- The Architectural Historian conducts work at INARNG locations and properties throughout the State;
- Assists in the assessment, inventory, management, and preservation of historic structures and facilities to ensure compliance with appropriate federal, state, and local regulations; All inventories, including site, historic structure, and section 106 compliance are maintained in a GIS database;
- Attends professional training, workshops, conferences and meetings at the federal, state and local level, as directed by the Environmental Management Supervisor to ensure proficiency in the areas of cultural and historic management;
- Attends environmental training, workshops, and conferences;
- Assists the Cultural Resource Manager with implementation and revisions of the Integrated Cultural Resources Management Plan;
- Consults with and advises the Natural Resources Manager or equivalent on the Cultural Resources Management (CRM) portions of the Integrated Natural Resources Management Plan;
- Consults with the Indiana State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO) regarding current Historical structure Inventory, structure protection goals and tasks;
- Conduct Section 106 processes by evaluating previous Section 106 project specific shapefiles (collected with GPS Handheld system) in GIS database and updating/editing shapefiles to maintain proper documentation for future usage in DHPA/INSHPO Section 106 review submittals; need to properly utilize GIS shapefiles to create maps within GIS (ArcMap) programs to include in Section 106 DHPA/INSHPO submittal;
- Conducts process to submit and finalize inclusion of structures on National Register of Historic Places;
- Evaluates INARNG buildings throughout Indiana which are or nearing 50 years old for their maintenance, repair, and renovation requirements and incorporates the location and documentation into a GIS database/shapefile;
- Conduct awareness level training for troops as necessary in conjunction with Environmental Awareness Program;
- Maintain Historical Building data on National Guard Bureau (NGB) database;
- Other duties as assigned.
This position requires the minimum qualifications set forth by “The Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards” for a professional in Architectural History (48 FR 44716 (1983) and referenced in 36 CFR Part 61.2(d)) [AJW3], which stipulates:
- A graduate degree in architectural history, art history, historic preservation, or closely related field, with coursework in American architectural history, or a bachelor's degree in architectural history, art history, historic preservation or closely related field
- At least two years of full-time experience in research, writing, or teaching in American architectural history or restoration architecture with an academic institution, historical organization or agency, museum, or other professional institution.
- Must have and maintain a valid Indiana driver’s license.
How to Apply
APPLY ON-LINE AT: http://www.in.gov/spd/careers/ Reference JobID #589235