Posted March 7, 2014
|Offered By||Civil War Trust |
1156 15th St,, NW, Suite 900
Washington, District of Columbia
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
|Name: Mary Koik |
Title: Deputy Director, Communications
Do you love history? Does the prospect of helping protect the places where our nation was forged fill you with pride? Does your way with words make you an ideal candidate to help spread the word about America’s largest heritage land preservation organization? If so, the Civil War Trust (www.civilwar.org) has an immediate opening in its policy and media department, a position from which you can have a tangible impact on the fate of some of the most threatened historic sites in the country. The Trust’s Communications Assistant is an ideal position for a professional looking to further hone a broad skill set across the communications spectrum — public relations, event planning, grassroots advocacy and social media.
- Key projects include: drafting press releases and answering inquiries; handling requests for reprints and other permissions; planning top-notch press conferences; promoting Civil War sesquicentennial commemorative activities.
- You’ll be a key player in efforts to advance heritage tourism initiatives and engage the public in advocacy campaigns on behalf of threatened historic sites, as well as a prolific contributor to our award-winning membership magazine.
- Additional duties include elements of office administration and mentoring in our internship program.
- Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree and 1–2 years of professional experience, with a background in public relations, writing or editing strongly preferred.
- Creativity, attention to detail and personal initiative are non-negotiable.
- Social media savvy will give candidates a leg up — as will familiarity with media monitoring tools or web content management systems
How to Apply
This is a writing-intensive position, so boring, formulaic submissions that don’t showcase a true love of history will not stand out. Send your compelling cover letter, resume, salary requirements and references to: COMMUNICATIONS at (fax) 202-367-1865 or (e-mail) firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.