Director of Development
Posted June 16, 2015
|Offered By||Gunston Hall |
10709 Gunston Road
Mason Neck, Virginia
|Salary||This is an exempt position; compensation is based on qualifications.|
|Name: Scott Stroh |
Title: Executive Director
Gunston Hall is pleased to announce an exciting new opportunity for an entrepreneurial and action oriented leader to create and build a sustainable program of philanthropic giving at an unparalleled historic site on scenic Mason Neck in Fairfax County, Virginia. Having recently embraced a new mission statement calling on us to stimulate the continuing public exploration of democratic ideals as first presented by George Mason in the 1776 Virginia Declaration of Rights, we are seeking a passionate and innovative leader with the vision, energy, and ability to inspire, develop, and achieve the implementation of a vibrant, strategic, and compassionate program of institutional advancement and fundraising in support of the fulfillment of this new mission. The ideal candidate will possess a compelling vision for creating a vibrant program of philanthropy at a cultural organization, a passion for building and sustaining relationships, an enthusiastic commitment to cultivating and soliciting support, a dedicated commitment to exceptional service and saying “thank you,” a creative spirit which embraces the power of possibility, an open mind which finds inspiration everywhere, a sincere desire to understand and meet community needs, and a strong belief in the importance of ongoing personal and professional development.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development is a senior leadership position responsible for the design, planning, execution and evaluation of Gunston Hall’s development and membership programs. Primary areas of emphasis include
- donor stewardship,
- developing fundraising campaigns,
- soliciting and closing major gifts,
- building relationships with internal and external stakeholders,
- cultivating an active portfolio of prospects and donors,
- implementing a membership program, managing fundraising events,
- the confidential collection and management of associated data.
The Director of Development, as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, is also responsible for actively leading and supporting the advancement of the organization, the development of the Gunston Hall team, and the achievement of organizational sustainability and excellence.
In line with organizational objectives, values, and standards of excellence, we are seeking an individual possessing the following:
- Demonstrated and successful leadership in diverse and vibrant settings.
- Demonstrated success designing and implementing solicitations, campaigns, and events resulting in major gifts and measurable financial results.
- Demonstrated success cultivating and sustaining strong relationships with diverse constituencies resulting in major gifts and measurable financial results.
- Exceptional organizational and data management skills.
- Experience providing and supporting exemplary guest service.
- Ability developing and achieving goals, managing projects, implementing budgets and business plans, and meeting targeted deadlines.
- A commitment to pursuing entrepreneurial and innovative initiatives.
- Exemplary communication skills and a commitment to effective communication in a team environment.
- Experience creating, supporting, and sustaining environments in which a unified team works for organizational excellence.
- A positive attitude, energetic personality, motivational spirit, and creatively open mind.
- A commitment to excellence.
Qualifications for this position include:
- A Bachelor’s degree and minimum of three years progressive experience and demonstrated success in fundraising are required.
- Experience within a cultural organization, museum, or historic site is preferred.
- Experience with public / private partnerships is preferred.
- A passion for George Mason, Gunston Hall, the Virginia Declaration of Rights, history, historic sites, and associated themes and topics is preferred.
- Must be available to work weekends, holidays and/or evenings as needed.
- Must be able to travel out of town as needed.
How to Apply
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to Scott Stroh, Executive Director, at email@example.com no later than July 10. Gunston Hall is an equal opportunity employer.