Posted September 10, 2014
|Offered By||Chestnut Hill Historical Society |
8708 Germantown Avenue
|Phone: 215-247-0417 |
The Chestnut Hill Historical Society is a nonprofit preservation and conservation organization seeking an Executive Director. Largely volunteer-driven, the Society conducts a large number of preservation and advocacy activities from its headquarters in a historic building in the Northwest section of Philadelphia. The Society maintains an archive of research material. It sponsors a conservation and preservation façade easement program. The Society promotes the Chestnut Hill National Historic District designation through advocacy, partnerships with City agencies and community groups, project review as a Registered Community Organization under the City zoning code, and educational programs. The Executive Director manages the day-to-day activities of the organization, administers its calendar of events and programs, coordinates message, and is supported by part time staff of five, each with a different program area focus. The Board and volunteers serve in both policy-making and hands-on capacities.
- Development and Fund Raising – Provides expertise and leadership in major gift identification, cultivation events, and conducting an endowment campaign. Provides oversight of two major fund raisers each year and works closely with the event chairs to raise 25% of the annual budget via the two events.
- Conservation Easement Program – Provides executive oversight of the land and façade conservation easement program which typically grows each year by two new easements. Working with the Friends of the Wissahickon, develops programs to actively market and promote the conservation program. Oversees the periodic re-accreditation by the Land Trust Accreditation Commission.
- Preservation Advocacy – Coordinates the Society’s responses to all public conservation and preservation issues as well as projects’ review as a Recognized Community Organization (part of the City’s zoning code administration). Works closely with local and regional organizations on preservation issues. Maintains strong working relationships with Chestnut Hill Community Association, Chestnut Hill Business Association, Friends of the Wissahickon, Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia, Philadelphia City Council, SEPTA, and City of Philadelphia agencies.
- Financial Management - Administers the Society’s budget and approves day-to-day expenses and donations in accordance with the Board-established financial policies and procedures. Works with the Treasurer, Finance Committee and Accountant to prepare the Form 990 and conduct an annual financial audit. Is directly responsible for ensuring that the Society maintains its Board-approved budget as well as an ongoing building maintenance and repair plan.
- Works with the Vice President of Programs to plan and execute a schedule of annual programs (lectures, tours, etc.) which address the Society’s mission. Plans and conducts an annual meeting of the membership.
- Annually reviews the established policies and procedures to ensure that they are being followed and changed as needed to ensure good governance. Works with the Board to develop annual goals and actions that support the Society’s Strategic Plan and provides direction for Board committees.
The ideal candidate will have non-profit management or director-level experience, preferably in a preservation/conservation organization or historical society, will hold a Bachelors Degree and preferably will have experience in one or more of the areas of institutional development, architecture, urban planning, preservation and land conservation. The successful candidate will be able to network and fund raise effectively and will be well- organized, with strong written, oral and presentation skills. The candidate also should have good meeting planning and event coordination skills. He or she must be flexible and capable of managing multiple priorities and working with staff, volunteers, members, donors, and a large, active volunteer Board of Directors. The position is full time and health benefits are included.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: email@example.com or by mail to: Chestnut Hill Historical Society 8708 Germantown Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19118.