Posted November 25, 2014
|Offered By||Greenbrier Historical Society |
301 West Washington Street
Lewisburg, West Virginia
|Name: Paul Hanna |
Title: Personnel Committee Chair
The Greenbrier Historical Society is searching for a dynamic leader with business acumen as well as a passion for history, historical preservation, and community outreach. The Executive Director will develop, plan, manage and carry-out operations of the Greenbrier Historical Society including all its buildings and functions. The Greenbrier Historical Society is a non-profit organization, whose mission is to collect, preserve, protect and exhibit historical materials and objects, provide educational experiences and activities, and support historical inquiry and research.
Develop, plan, manage and carry-out operations of the Greenbrier Historical Society including all its buildings and functions.
Primary Position Responsibilities:
- Partner with Board of Directors to develop the organization’s strategic plan
- Implement organizational goals and objectives
- Supervise employees and volunteers
- Manage daily operations and coordinate employee and volunteer schedules.
- Supervise financial coordinator in financial reporting and activities
- Oversee revenue generating activities such as fund raising, grant writing and retail sales
- Create marketing and promotional materials for operations and special events including newsletters and web-site operation
- With the Museum and Education Coordinator develop, coordinate and implement educational and public outreach programs and exhibits
- Represent and promote the Society in community affairs
- With the guidance and assistance of the Museum Committee, Manage museum collections according to American Museum Standards
- With the guidance and assistance of the Archives Committee, manage archives in accordance with professional guidelines
- Perform all related functions as needed Activities within each area of responsibility may be carried out by support staff, volunteers or by the Director as is in the best interests of the Greenbrier Historical Society.
- BA or BS degree in History, Museum Studies, or Historic Preservation preferred. Experience:
- Business management experience or equivalent education to include intermediate management, accounting and marketing knowledge
- Experience in museums or archives, managing collections or creating exhibits preferred.
- Experience developing and implementing educational programs and special events
- Experience in managing staff and volunteers Technical
- Excellent verbal communication skills to include effective public speaking
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to compose business documents, financial reports and marketing materials with emphasis on accuracy and proper grammar
- Knowledge of U.S. History and interest in historic preservation
- Knowledge of regional history preferred
Computer literacy requirements:
- Application Proficiency
- Word Processing Advanced
- Internet Intermediate
- Spreadsheet Intermediate
- PastPerfect or Other Museum Software Beginner
- Accounting Software Beginner
- Publishing/Graphic/Web Design Beginner
Physical Requirements: • Ability to climb stairs and ladders • Infrequent lifting up to 25 lbs. • Standing, walking and sitting for moderate amounts of time
How to Apply
Interested applicants may forward resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 304-647-6029 for more information.