Posted December 18, 2013
|Offered By||Downtown Evanston, IL |
1720 Maple Avenue, Suite 151
|Name: DTE Search Committee |
The Downtown Evanston organization is seeking an Executive Director to provide organizational leadership and to manage staff, operations, and programs. Downtown Evanston is the marketing and management organization for the downtown Evanston business district and has operated as a part-time organization since inception in 1987. After its 2007 Special Service Area renewal, Downtown Evanston is now a full-time operation. The ideal candidate for this position will combine solid experience in commercial district revitalization with creativity, persistence, and the ability to work with many diverse stake-holders in an educated and diverse community. The candidate should understand the need for both day-to-day and strategic leadership within a commercial district management organization. Candidates for this position should also have demonstrated knowledge or experience in commercial district marketing, non-profit management and/or economic development.
- Is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Downtown Evanston organization and implements the corporate policies and directives of the Downtown Evanston Board of Directors.
- Develop and maintain a collaborative working relationship with all Downtown Evanston constituencies, including the City of Evanston (staff and elected), the downtown property owners, the downtown merchant community, The Evanston Chamber of Commerce, Chicago’s North Shore Convention and Visitors Bureau, Evanston Community Foundation, Evanston Inventure, Northwestern University, and other important community groups.
- Manage the downtown environmental maintenance program, including negotiating the agreement; working with the City of Evanston on the agreement and maintenance issues; monitoring contract performance; evaluating and recommending maintenance improvements; and evaluating any necessary capital improvements.
- In conjunction with the Marketing and Events Coordinator, develop, coordinate and implement professional and high quality programs and events to brand, market and promote downtown Evanston to consumers and investors.
- Manages all Downtown Evanston staff members. This includes regular communications and discussions on marketing and management activities, project work, planning, fiscal matters, administrative matters, and other issues relevant to day-to-day operations.
- In conjunction with the Financial Administrator, manage all Downtown Evanston’s fiscal matters. This includes ensuring completion of the annual audit in a timely manner, ensuring that all relevant legal and regulatory processes are completed, and regularly reviewing all internal accounting matters.
- Submit the annual budget to the City of Evanston as legally required, providing the necessary financial reports to the Downtown Evanston Treasurer and the Board of Directors, and ensuring the initiation and maintenance of adequate policies, procedures and internal controls.
- Develop and/or conduct any new or special programs or projects necessary to further Downtown Evanston’s mission.
- Assist downtown property owners and merchants in activities to ensure downtown business development. This includes providing tenant referrals to property owners and customer referrals and assistance to downtown merchants.
- Participate in activities to educate the commercial real estate community about downtown Evanston business opportunities.
- Respond to requests for information and assistance from merchants, the public, the press and developers/realtors.
- Serve as an advocate for specific issues important to downtown success as directed by either the Downtown Evanston Executive Committee or Board of Directors.
Education: A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in economic development, business management, public administration, urban planning, non-profit management, marketing, or a related field is preferred. Experience: At least five (5) years of commercial district revitalization or commercial district management experience is required. Specific management experience in communities with 50,000 or more in population is preferred. Demonstrated knowledge of or experience in non-profit management, economic development, and/or commercial district and place-based marketing is also preferred.
Knowledge and Skills: The following skills are important to success in the Executive Director position:
- Have strong communication skills—speaking, writing, and listening, and the ability to communicate clearly and in timely fashion.
- Ability to build consensus among complex, politically sensitive, and sometimes competing public and private sector interests and stakeholder groups.
- Ability to articulate a vision for the organization and implement that vision with Board assistance.
- Ability to reach out to new partners and stakeholders and develop new means of working with existing local partners and stakeholders.
- Ability to responsibly manage and administer the organizational and financial affairs of the Downtown Evanston organization, including budgets, tax levy estimates, any regulatory requirements, and financial statements.
- Sustain strong, existing relationships with City staff and elected officials.
- Have a working knowledge of real estate development processes.
- Have a working knowledge of small business development practices and downtown business recruitment and retention issues.
- Ability to manage, train, and recruit Downtown Evanston staff, as needed.
- Understand ethical behavior and ensure consistent ethical behavior within the Downtown Evanston organization.
- Have fundamental computer skills, including knowledge of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, QuickBooks, email, and Internet.
How to Apply
Application Information: Letters of interest, resume, and salary history may be submitted electronically to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Application information must be submitted by Wednesday, January 15, 2014. The selected candidate must be available to start no later than April 1, 2014. Downtown Evanston’s search committee will review all letters and resumes, and the search committee will contact and schedule all interviews with qualified candidates. For a complete listing of the job posting please visit our website at http://www.downtownevanston.org/doing-business-here/announcements