Posted January 5, 2015
|Offered By||Historic Indian Agency House |
1490 Agency House Road
|Salary||commensurate with experience|
|Name: Anne Vravick |
Title: President, NSCDA-WI
The Museum Director position is a seasonal full-time position for the open season May 15 – October 15, and part-time during the off-season for The Historic Indian Agency House (HIAH). Located in historic Portage, WI, just 25 minutes north of metropolitan Madison, WI, the HIAH preserves and interprets the c.1832 time-period during which John Kinzie, the Indian Agent to the Ho-Chunk Nation (Winnebago), and his wife, Juliette Magill Kinzie, lived at the portage. The house stands on its original foundation at the portage between the Fox and Wisconsin Rivers, an important link between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River watershed. Built by the U.S. government in 1832, the house and its surrounding 225 acres of land are recognized as nationally significant on the National Registry of Historic Places. More information about HIAH can be found at www.agencyhouse.org.
- oversee the Museum collection
- actively pursue fund-raising opportunities
- supervise a small staff
- give tours to visitors and school children
- manage a budget
- implement programs and educational activities
- administer all of the everyday operations of the Museum.
- The candidate must have demonstrated fundraising success, financial management skills, strong written and spoken skills, and a deep passion for U.S. History.
- The preferred candidate will have a B.A. or equivalent in Business Administration, Museum Studies, or U.S. History.
- He or she will have the interpersonal skills necessary to work closely with the Board of Directors, the community, volunteers, and the small museum staff.
- Skills in grant-writing are not required, but will be viewed favorably.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and write in the subject line “Museum Director Search” on or before January 31, 2015. Interviews will begin after February 1, 2015. Professional and personal references will be required during the interview process. Questions may be sent to the above email.