Posted August 6, 2014
|Offered By||Boyne City (MI) Main Street |
319 North Lake Street
Boyne City, Michigan
|Salary||Competitive Salary with benefits|
|Name: Michael Cain |
Title: City Manager
The award-winning Boyne City (MI) Main Street program is looking for a creative and energetic individual to lead the community’s efforts. You will be living in a great small town and working with a cohesive, progressive and enthusiastic board with stable funding. Candidates should have working knowledge and/or experience in the following areas: National Main Street philosophy; historic preservation; planning; economic development; retailing; marketing; design; volunteer management; and small business development. An outgoing, well-organized person who communicates and works effectively with others, likes challenges and thrives in an independent environment is desired. Comprehensive wage and benefit package.
- Be knowledgeable about the four-point Main Street approach to economic revitalization, and serve as the visible contact person for the Main Street Program.
- Work with the Chair and the Board of Directors to implement and direct the program of the organization.
- Direct efforts at business retention, expansion, and recruitment, including providing information, expertise, and appropriate referrals to business owners, marketing Boyne City Main Street Program to outside businesses, working with developers and building owners to enhance the quality of retail and commercial businesses and the quality of their retail/commercial space.
- Develop funding sources for expansion and development of Boyne City Main Street Program in concert with other organizations, agencies, and government entities.
- Work with the Board of Directors and committees to develop and implement annual work plans upon which the program will operate.
- Be well-versed on the Boyne City Downtown Development Authority Development Plan and assist with updates. Additionally be well versed with the following documents: Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Plan, the Boyne City Downtown Authority Action Plan, and other studies and reports as they relate to downtown, and be familiar with the Boyne City Comprehensive Plan, Sign Ordinance, and the Boyne City Zoning Ordinance.
- Maintain regular contact with existing and new members of Boyne City Main Street Program to foster the support and participation.
- Be familiar with persons and groups directly or indirectly involved in the revitalization of Boyne City, including but not limited to the Boyne Area Chamber of Commerce, Northern Lakes Economic Alliance and local Townships.
- Work directly with the community to enhance downtown Boyne City.
- Attend Main Street Board of Directors, committee, sub-committee, City Commission and task group meetings as necessary or as indicated by the Chair and/or the Board of Directors.
- Work with the City Treasurer and any required financial personnel to facilitate the maintenance of finances for the Boyne City Main Street Program and report such to the Board of Directors.
- Provide assistance and management, as an ex-officio member, of all Main Street Program committees, including the Boyne City Farmers Market.
- Manage recruitment, evaluation, and retention of volunteers, including members of the four Main Street, committees, and special project volunteers.
- Produce press releases and maintain good relationships with all media in the region.
- Assist with writing, editing, and publishing informational and marketing brochures and flyers.
- Ensure that all outgoing materials adhere to the standards of the Boyne City Main Street Program.
- Assist with the preparation of necessary reports, summaries, and research projects, as assigned by the Main Street Board of Directors.
- Provide regular reports to the Boyne City governing body (City Commission) regarding the activities and financial conditions.
- Attend all city department head meetings
- Work with all department heads to promote and achieve the goals and objectives of city government.
- Responsible for maintenance and updates to Main Street website.
- Attend all City Commission meetings and Boyne Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors monthly meetings.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Board of Directors and/or the Chair.
- A combination of education and experience in one or more of the following: business organizations, non-profit corporations, small business development, public relations, planning, retailing, fundraising, historic preservation, sociology, urban geography, architecture, or a related field; Main Street experience is a plus.
- The Manager should be entrepreneurial, energetic, imaginative, well organized and capable of functioning effectively in an independent and occasionally stressful environment.
- Excellent people skills.
- Ability to work independently and with large and small groups.
- Excellent written and verbal skills; public speaking experience is a plus.
- Must have general computer skills and be proficient in word processing and spreadsheet applications. PowerPoint, data base management and basic design/publishing skills are desirable.
- The Manager must be sensitive to design and preservation issues and must understand the issues confronting downtown business people, property owners, public agencies and community organizations.
How to Apply
Provide letter of interest, resume, salary history, and three references to Boyne City Main Street Program, c/o Michael Cain, City Manager, 319 North Lake Street, Boyne City, MI 49712. Deadline is 4 p.m. Aug. 25, 2014 or until position is filled. More information is available at www.boynecity.com EOE