Gulfport Main Street Executive Director
Posted October 14, 2014
|Offered By||City of Gulfport, Mississippi |
2309 15th St.
|Name: Cheryl Millender |
Title: Manager, Human Resources
The Executive Director coordinates activities, within the downtown revitalization program, that utilize the Main Street Four Point Approach as an integral foundation for downtown economic development. The Executive Director is responsible for the development, conduct, execution and documentation of the Main Street program. The Executive Director is the principal on-site staff person responsible for coordinating all program activities and volunteers, as well as representing the community regionally and nationally, as appropriate. In addition, the Executive Director should provide guidance as the organization’s objectives evolve.
- Provide leadership in the implementation of the Main Street Four Point approach to Downtown Revitalization and coordination of Gulfport Main Street.
- Coordinate the activities of the Main Street program’s committees, ensuring that communication among committees and volunteers are well established; assist committee volunteers with implementation of work plan items. Oversee the coordination of Board and committee agendas, meetings, minutes and correspondence.
- Facilitate consistent, informative communication and effective outreach to the Board of Directors, City of Gulfport, committees, volunteers, property and business owners, government agencies and other partners.
- Create awareness and build consensus for the organization’s programs and services.
- Manage all administrative aspects of the Main Street program, including purchasing, record keeping, budget development, accounting, 501(c) (3) compliance, grant writing, grant administration, fundraising, strategic planning, preparing all reports required by the state Main Street program, the City of Gulfport and by the National Main Street Center, assisting with the preparation of reports to funding agencies, and supervising employees, interns or consultants.
- Have knowledge of existing local, state and federal funding opportunities, such as grants, loans and tax incentives.
- Develop additional funding sources to augment Gulfport Main Street’s existing revenues, including utilization of grant programs, sponsorships and a membership program.
- Develop, in conjunction with the Board of Directors, downtown economic revitalization strategies and utilize the community’s human and economic resources. Become familiar with all persons and groups directly and indirectly involved in the downtown. Be mindful of the roles of various downtown interest groups, assist the Board of Directors and committees in developing an annual action plan for implementing a downtown revitalization program focused on four areas: design/historic preservation; promotion and marketing; organization/management; and economic/business development. Develop programs to recruit and retain downtown merchant membership.
- Develop and conduct on-going public awareness and education programs designed to enhance appreciation of the downtown’s unique character and assets. Use speaking engagements and media interviews to keep the program in the public eye.
- Develop and maintain a database system to track the progress of the revitalization effort including documentation of job creation, business recruitment and retention, vacancy rate, reinvestment statistics, economic monitoring, individual building files, and photographic documentation of physical changes.
- Assess the management capacity of Gulfport’s downtown district and encourage improvements in the downtown community’s ability to carry out joint activities such as cooperative advertising, marketing, appropriate store hours, special events, business assistance, business recruitment, and parking management.
- Coordinate joint promotional events, such as festivals or business promotions, to improve the quality and success of events and attract people to downtown; work closely with local media to ensure maximum coverage of all downtown activities; encourage design excellence in all aspects of promotion in order to advance an image of quality for the downtown.
- Help build strong, collaborative, and productive relationships with staff and appropriate public agencies at the local and state levels.
- Bachelor's Degree Required
- Applicant should have experience with and success in the Main Street Four Point Approach to downtown revitalization
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common professional journals, financial reports and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from citizens, regulatory agencies, City officials, and members of the business community.
- Thorough knowledge of principles and procedures of federal and state grant administration and management and of grant sources and related requirements.
- Strong writing skills, as it relates to grants, monthly reports, press releases, etc.
- Must possess strong organizational skills and be able to function effectively in an independent environment.
- Must possess effective interpersonal skills, including conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of internal and external customers, citizens and officials.
- Display a high degree of sound business judgment and ethical conduct.
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with other employees, peers, and other departments.
- Strong computer experience using Microsoft’s Word, Excel, Power-point and Publisher. The ideal candidate will have experience with website/social media management
How to Apply
Apply online at the City of Gulfport's website under Employment Opportunities: https://gulfport.munisselfservice.com/employmentopportunities/default.aspx.