Posted March 25, 2015
|Offered By||Historic Hillsboro Downtown Partnership |
PO Box 4270
|Salary||$50,000 - $70,000|
|Name: Denzil Scheller |
Downtown Hillsboro is the heart of the Hillsboro community, serving as the primary civic gathering spot in the city. HHDP’s Executive Director will build a foundation of success to lead the continued revitalization of Hillsboro’s 172 year old downtown. The HHDP is a newly formed 501(C)3 organization. This position will be best filled by a true Jack (or Jill) of all trades capable of managing complexity and a comprehensive approach to program and partnership development. The successful candidate will: -Work independently and with the HHDP Board of Directors, Program Partners, and Volunteer Task Forces to cultivate a more active, vibrant and sustainable downtown. -Focus on 4 strategic areas: business recruitment, marketing and promotion, capacity building, and design and preservation. -Manage the day‐to‐day operation of the non‐profit HHDP guided by annual goals and work plans. -Support HHDP task forces, projects and partners.
Develop the capacity of the non profit HHDP (a 501c3) to implement volunteer based, locally driven projects in downtown Hillsboro. Act as the point person for downtown Hillsboro on a range of issues and build relationships with property owners, business owners, elected officials, developers, professionals and downtown stakeholders. Advocate for the vision of a more active, vibrant and sustainable downtown as an asset to Hillsboro and the Portland Metro Region. Sustain program funding through renewal of the Downtown EID, programmatic support from partners and through grant writing. Anticipated Results: Support the organizational goals as defined by board of directors (examples):
- Encourage rehab/adaptive reuse projects.
- Business recruitment.
- Encourage the addition of residential capacity downtown.
- Support new construction projects initiated downtown.
- Develop programs that activate downtown.
- Expanded community support of HHDP and Downtown.
- Increased level of “community building” downtown as the community gathers and coalesces around a shared sense of identity and shared vision for the future of downtown.
- Develop a more active and sustainable non‐profit HHDP to implement further change.
- Develop and implement a plan for sustainable funding for the organization.
- Promote the organizations events, programs and projects using multiple vehicles including traditional media, public relations and social media.
The successful candidate should have at least four (4) years education and/or experience in one or more of the following areas: architecture, historic preservation, economics, public relations, promotions and special event coordination, design, journalism, planning, business administration, public administration, retail management, volunteer or nonprofit administration and/or small business development. They must be sensitive to design and preservation issues. They must understand issues confronting downtown business people, property owners, public agencies and community organizations. The successful candidate must be entrepreneurial, energetic, imaginative, well organized and capable of functioning effectively in an independent situation. They must have the ability to build and maintain a team of motivated volunteers. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential. Marketing experience or demonstration of a strong grasp of basic marketing concepts is required. Supervisory skills are desirable. Some travel required. Previous staff experience working for a Main Street™ organization, another type of downtown organization, or a volunteer‐based nonprofit organization a plus.
How to Apply
As a response to this job posting please submit your resume, one‐page cover letter, and answers to the following questions to: Historic Hillsboro Downtown Partnership, P.O. Box 4270, Hillsboro OR 97123 Or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before May 1st, 2015.
1. Share with us your experience leading a nonprofit focused on community building, place making and/or downtown revitalization. (Please limit your response to no more than 350 words).
2. Please share with us your approach and experience to building partnerships with organizational partners, stakeholders and volunteers (Please limit your response to no more than 350 words).
3. Please share with us your experience managing volunteers and a budget (Please limit your response to no more than 350 words).
4. Please share with us your experience working on a redevelopment project and the role you played in the success of this project (Please limit your response to no more than 350 words).
5. Please share with us three examples of business recruitment that you would use in downtown Hillsboro (Please limit your response to no more than 350 words).
6. Please share with us an example of your experience in grant writing or grant management. (Please limit your response to no more than 350 words).