Below are frequently asked questions about historic districts. Most of this information is excerpted from National Trust publications on historic districts (see a listing of these publications in the first FAQ section) and the National Park Service's website.
- Does the National Trust Have Resources on Historic Districts?
- What Is a Historic District?
- What Are the Advantages of Establishing a Historic District?
- What Are Some Obstacles to Establishing a Historic District?
- What Are the Components of a Local Historic District?
- What Is a Preservation Ordinance?
- How Is a Historic District Preservation Commission Created?
- How Is a Local Historic District Effectively Administered?
- Are the Preservation Activities of Local Governments Limited in Nature?
- What Are the Benefits and Requirements of Becoming a Certified Local Government (CLG)?
- Do You Have Information on How to Create a Historic District as Quickly as Possible?
- Can My State Historic Preservation Office Give Financial and Other Assistance to us While We're Trying to Create a Historic District?
- What Is a "Certificate of Appropriateness"?
- What Other Resources and Information Do You Have on Historic Districts?
- Do You Have a Glossary of Preservation Terms?