Modernism and the Recent Past Resources
Over the years a variety of documents have been produced regarding the protection and preservation of places from the recent past. We've collected a few of these documents in one place to help you in your work.
- Minnesota Modern Module
- Los Angeles Modern Module
- Boston Modern Module
- Jet Modern
- Mid-Twentieth Century Modern Residences in Connecticut 1930-1979
- Materials for Repair and Restoration-Resources Guide
Post-War and Ranch Housing
- Resources for Modern Homeowners
- Resources for the Repair of Post-War Housing
- Post-War Housing Inspection Checklist
- Post War Housing Survey and Designation Resources
- Ranch House Inspection Checklist
- Lustron Preservation
Survey and Designation:
Before preservationists can tackle saving any aspect of the past, we have to know where it is and why it's important. Survey of historic resources from the Modern movement and the recent past is growing, and communities, advocates, and preservation professionals are rethinking and retooling how we identify, research, and evaluate resources from the familiar past. While this list is by no means comprehensive, we offer it as a starting place for communities and preservationists designing their own survey programs.
- Modernism and Recent Past Survey & Designation Efforts
- General Resources: Preserving Resources from the Recent Past: 'Preserving Resources from the Recent Past' by Jeanne Lambin looks at the historic context of the postwar building boom, the special challenges of preserving this legacy, and some case studies of community successes.
- Surveys: Mid-Twentieth Century Modern Residences in Connecticut 1930-1979:Sponsored by the National Trust, the Philip Johnson Glass House, and the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, the New Canaan Modern Homes Survey was designed to provide a more complete study of Modern residences in New Canaan and serve as a national model for surveys of other mid-century houses in the United States.
- Surveys: Recent Past Survey: Significant Architectural Resource from Northern Cook County, IL (2006-2008): Sponsored by Landmarks Illinois and the National Trust, this survey was conducted by the School of the Art Institute of Chicago's (SAIC) Graduate Program in Historic Preservation during Fall 2006 and 2007. The survey focuses on architecturally significant non-residential buildings dating from 1935 to 1975.
- Surveys: Growth, Efficiency and Modernism: GSA Buildings of the 1950s, 60s and 70s. This downloadable book outlines the results of a study of the historic and architectural significance of the General Service Administration's (GSA) mid-century Modern buildings. Includes an Assessment Tool which details how to evaluate the buildings using the National Register criteria.
- The Ranch House in Georgia: Guidelines for Evaluation
- DOCOMOMO: How to Evaluate Modern Buildings and Sites
- Context Studies: Fresno, CA: Mid Century Modernism (2008)
- Context Studies: Pasadena, CA: Resource of the Recent Past Context Report (2007)
- Context Studies: Riverside, CA: Riverside Modernism Part 1 and Part 2 (2009)
- Context Studies: San Diego, CA: San Diego Modernism (2007)
- Context Studies: San Francisco, CA: Modern Architecture and Landscape Design (2011)
- Context Studies: Eugene, OR: Modernism Context 1935-1965 (2003)
- Context Studies: Pennsylvania's Historic Suburbs
Forum Journal Articles (Members Only)
- Winter 2013 Modern Landscape Architecture: Presentation and Preservation
- Introduction to the Summer 2010 Forum Journal: Modernism + the Recent Past
- The "Modern" Challenge to Preservation (Summer 2010)
- 50 Years Reconsidered (Summer 2010)
- Coming to Terms with the Sixties (Summer 2010)
- When in Rome (Summer 2010)
- Preserving the Birthplace of Hip-Hop (Summer 2010)
- Preservation is Child's Play: Saving a Mid-century City Park (Summer 2010)
- Earthworks: Art and Landscape in Washington's Green River Valley (Summer 2010)
Recent Blog Posts from Preservation Leadership Forum Blog
Recent Blog Posts from the PreservationNation Blog
- Life in a Midcentury Modern Oasis: The Cranfill Apartments in Austin, Texas
- Save Our Saucer: The Fight to Protect a Space-Age Artifact in Hyattsville, Md.
- Meet Phoenix's Modern Maven: Aspire Award Winner Alison King
- Twitter Chat Recap/Reminder: Historic Holidays and Modernism
- 10 Preservation Wins in 2013