Transportation Case Studies and Other Resources
Transportation Case Studies
Transportation case studies that illustrate how 4(f) maintains community character and results in better road projects.
- Flathead Indian Reservation, Montana
4(f) kept a proposed highway widening from destroying the environment and culture in the northwestern corner of the state.
- Fort Worth, Texas
4(f) helped remove an intrusive freeway and begin the creation of livelier, pedestrian-friendly downtown.
- Great Falls, Montana
4(f) enabled the community save a beautiful bridge from demolition.
- Lexington to Paris, Kentucky
4(f) stopped a bad plan for widening this historic road, then encouraged the creation of an award-winning alternative.
- Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
4(f) succeeded when other reviews failed, allowing this lakeside community to keep one of its local icons.
Other Transportation Resources
- Download Legal Tools for Fighting Freeways and Saving Historic Roads (pdf)—summarizes the law and provides excellent examples of how reviews can help protect America's heritage.
- How transportation enhancements help communities choose the kind of projects they want and create a more balanced transportation system.
- How transit and preservation can revitalize America's cities.
- Learn about context-sensitive design, a method of planning that transportation officials are already using to create projects that simultaneously improve mobility and respect communities.