Reporter

TRANSITIONS

SO04
The Odorite Building

Credit: Mollie Goatwax

LOST1915 Odorite Building, Baltimore: faux-Tudor in city's Mount Vernon area—built to house auto showroom for Monumental Motor Car Co. and later used as cleaning-supply company's headquarters—demolished in May to make way for $14 million University of Baltimore student center

SO04
Palm Tavern

Credit: Landmarks Preservation Council of Illinois

1933 Palm Tavern, Chicago: art moderne restaurant and tavern—built, owned, and operated by African Americans and frequented by the likes of Billie Holiday, Langston Hughes, and Joe Louis—seized by eminent domain, with its facade removed and interior gutted this summer for city-backed private development project called Nostalgia Jazz and Wine Bar

TOPPLED1877 Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Boston: half-ton bronze and stone sculpture, among first Civil War memorials dedicated to rank-and-file soldiers and sailors rather than military leaders, knocked down by vandals in Boston Common; repairs ordered by mayor

THREATENED1937 Brooks-Scanlon Crane Shed, Bend, Ore.: designed by Spokane, Wash., architects Wash Huffman and H.W. Weidlich and supported by arched ribbed trusses and sweeping buttresses, with 70-foot lumber-moving crane, building is last lumber storage shed of its kind in state; developer seeking to demolish for new construction

RESTORED 1883 Thomas Wolfe House, Asheville, N.C.: nearly destroyed by fire six years ago, writer's boyhood home and setting of 1929 novel Look Homeward, Angelreopened in May

SAVED1905 Theresa School, St. Louis: designed by pioneering schoolhouse architect William B. Ittner, nearly demolished late last year for strip mall, spared when school district struck deal with preservationist developers who are converting building into lofts

1856 Memphis & Charleston Freight Depot, Huntsville, Ala.: one of nation's oldest intact railroad complexes, severely damaged in March fire, donated by Norfolk Southern railroad to state historical commission for stabilization and cleaning before restoration