Marmaduke Forster House
By Stephanie Joy Smith | Online Only | January/February 2008
|Built||1785 to 1890s|
Charles H. Henkels, Architects
The Marmaduke Forster house has undergone its fair share of makeovers in its 222 year history, morphing from a modest Greek revival farm house into a 4,400-square-foot Queen Anne landmark on the edge of downtown Pleasantville, N.Y. Its latest transformation has put it in the running to become the oldest LEED-certified building in the United States.
The two-story house, converted into offices in the 1970s, was facing demolition with 29 code violations before John Krysko and Nancy Rosanoff purchased it in 2002, vowing to rehab the property and place it on the National Register of Historic Places.
For more photos, stories, and tips, subscribe to the print edition of Preservation magazine.