Transitions

Restored, Saved, Lost, Threatened

Saved    

Casino
Inside the Casino Theatre in Newport, R.I.

Credit: International Tennis Hall of Fame

Newport Casino Theatre: Closed in 1967 and vacant for 40 years, the Newport Casino Theatre, in Rhode Island's famous coastal town, dates to 1880. Architect Stanford White designed the 456-seat auditorium to serve the carriage trade, creating enough space beneath each seat to stow a top hat. The International Tennis Hall of Fame and Salve Regina University are working to restore the historic building. The $4.5 million effort, under the direction of architect Martha Werenfels, will conclude this summer.

Union Station Power House: In September, BNIM Architects started transforming the Jarvis Hunt-designed, 58,000-square-foot Union Station Power House in Kansas City, Mo., into a seven-studio rehearsal and performance space for the Kansas City Ballet. The 1914 structure's funnel-shaped coal bunkers and ash hoppers will serve as dressing rooms, and a skylight and catwalks will be re-created. The $31 million project is scheduled for completion next summer.

Restored 

Sullivan Center: Chicago developer Joseph Freed and Associates spent $190 million rehabbing the old Carson Pirie Scott & Co. department store complex, now known as the Sullivan Center. The National Historic Landmark, constructed between 1899 and 1906, occupies almost an entire city block in the Loop and features cast-iron storefronts designed by Louis Sullivan. Following structural rehabilitation in 2006, Sullivan's celebrated ornaments underwent an extensive, two-year restoration under the direction of Harboe Architects. The project won Landmarks Illinois' Real Estate and Building Industries Council award for preservation in November. At press time, the project was nearing completion.

Oak Cottage: When Michele and Robert Pulis purchased this Long Valley, N.J., house in May 2006, the Second Empire cottage was near ruin: Tree limbs had punctured the roof, water had damaged the interior woodwork, and 40-plus years of neglect had left many of the windows beyond repair. But the siding and stone foundation survived, and the couple used information from the Washington Township Historic Preservation Commission to guide a three-year, $450,000 renovation. The c. 1818 house and an 1828 carriage house lie within a National Register historic district.

Threatened

Zane
A hilltop house was built on California's Catalina Island.

Credit: Zane Grey West Society

Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel  Zane Grey, the great storyteller of the American West, first visited California's Catalina Island on his ­honeymoon in 1906. He built a house there in 1926 and often returned to the island to write. A few years after Grey's death in 1939, his pueblo-inspired residence became a bed-and-breakfast. Today, the property is for sale, and preservationists fear that new owners will seek a demolition permit. The Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel has been nominated to the National Register.

Lost

Waitsburg Mill Company: In 1865, Sylvester Wait erected a mill on the Touchet River in southeast Washington. Over time the mill grew, giving the new town of Waitsburg the industry needed to attract residents. In 2001, the city of Waitsburg formed a committee to restore the downtown streetscape, including the Waitsburg Mill. Revitalization was underway when fire leveled the historic structure in September 2008. Arson is the likely cause, but at press time, no suspects had been identified.

Broughal School: Despite a six-year battle to save it, the 1917 Broughal School in Bethlehem, Pa., was declared obsolete and demolished in October. A new middle school opened at the start of the 2009 school year. School board officials said the Italian Renaissance structure, designed by A.W. Leh and eligible for the National Register, could not be retrofitted. The vacant site of the lost school will become an athletic field.

For more photos, stories, and tips, subscribe to the print edition of Preservation magazine.