Restored, Saved, Threatened, Lost
By Elizabeth McNamara | From Preservation | November/December 2011
Evansville Greyhound Terminal To compete with the sleek, diesel-powered trains of the late 1930s, Greyhound launched a fleet of streamlined coaches and erected Art Moderne bus terminals, such as this one in Evansville, Ind. The 1939 building, designed by architect William S. Arrasmith during what is now dubbed Greyhound's "blue period," is clad in enameled steel panels. The bus company vacated the building in 2007. Earlier this summer, the city donated the National Register-listed terminal to Indiana Landmarks, which announced plans to move into the building following an estimated $1 million rehabilitation.
Whiskey Row During Louisville's heyday in the late 19th century, virtually every Kentucky whiskey producer, rectifier, and dealer set up shop on Main Street. But the buildings of Whiskey Row gradually fell into disrepair. In 2007, local developer Cobalt Ventures purchased seven abandoned warehouses—built between 1852 and 1905—for $4.3 million. Preservation groups, concerned that the buildings could be razed, secured local landmark status for the district. Cobalt Ventures requested a demolition permit nonetheless—a request rejected by city officials. The developer sued. Following a settlement, preservation-minded developers stepped forward and acquired five of the seven buildings. As part of an agreement finalized in August, the facades of the remaining two buildings will also be preserved.
ASM International Headquarters This arc-shaped building beneath an open, geodesic dome was completed in 1959 for ASM International, a society for scientists and engineers. Located 20 miles outside Cleveland, the office complex was designed by John Terence Kelly; the dome is the work of Buckminster Fuller. In October 2009, the complex was listed on the National Register, the first step in accessing $2.4 million in federal and state historic preservation tax credits. A $7 million restoration, which included reglazing and insulating the building's single-pane windows, was completed this summer.
Sunnylands Modernist architect A. Quincy Jones designed this long, low-lying house in Rancho Mirage, Calif., for Ambassador and Mrs. Walter H. Annenberg in the early 1960s. Located on a 200-acre estate in the Coachella Valley desert, Sunnylands became a gathering place for American presidents, British royalty, and world-famous artists, writers, and actors. Following Leonore Annenberg's death in 2009, the 25,000-square-foot house underwent a $6.5 million, two-year restoration. The estate will reopen as a museum and retreat center in February.
Georgia Theatre In June 2009, an early-morning fire erupted inside this downtown concert hall in the historic district of Athens, Ga., and consumed everything but the brick bones of the 1889 structure. Built as a YMCA and transformed into a theater in 1918, the landmark had become the centerpiece of the city's vibrant music scene. After the fire, the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation helped spearhead fundraising efforts to rebuild the theater, organizing benefit concerts with noted headliners. Following a nearly two-year, $4.5 million restoration, the Georgia reopened in August.
Last year, we reported that I. M. Pei's Terminal Six at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City was threatened with demolition. Preservationists tried to secure landmark protection for the 1970 structure, noted for a floor-to-ceiling glass panel system. Despite their efforts, the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey started demolition of the terminal in July.
For more photos, stories, and tips, subscribe to the print edition of Preservation magazine.