Fall 2013 Table of Contents
- State of the Fairs: World's Fair Structures Around the U.S.
The challenges facing America's World's Fair sites, and what locals are doing to rejuvenate these icons of innovation.
- Founder's Farm: James Monroe's Historic Oak Hill Estate
For Tom and Gayle DeLashmutt, stewardshop of James Monroe's Oak Hill estate is a labor of love.
- Roosevelt's Retreat: Elkhorn Ranch in North Dakota
North Dakota's oil boom is threatening Theodore Roosevelt's ranch and refuge, but people are trying to protect it.
- Travel to Hot Springs, Ark.
After decades in economic hot water, progressive projects and historic attractions have Hot Springs, Ark., bubbling with life again.
- Outside the Box: Los Angeles' Echo Park Lake
After a two-year renovation, this 1860s reservoir is back in the limelight and better than ever.
- Place Setting: Indianapolis' Bluebeard Restaurant
Salvaged goods give stylish ambience to Indianapolis' new James Beard nominee.
- Itinerary: Bethlehem, Pa.
Historic attractions, restaurants, and activities in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley
- Back Story: Laura Bush on Creating a Legacy of Historic Preservation
The former First Lady took her lifelong interest in preservation to advocate for historic preservation.
Like what you see? Subscribe to Preservation and explore the mystery and meaning of our most beloved places through in-depth features and vibrant photography.