Travel in Michigan

Travel in Michigan-Pure Michigan

Interested in more than just Detroit? Michigan is an absolutely beautiful place to experience gorgeous landscapes, unique activities, and more fresh water than you can imagine. We encourage you to take advantage of your time in Michigan and do some exploring! Here are some links to guide you:


Visit a Michigan Community!

Michigan has not only one, but TWO state coordinating Main Street programs. A few are not a far venture from the city of Detroit, and many are well worth the extra trip! Several Main Street communities also have great festivals and events happening right around the time of the conference.

Michigan Main Street Center Communities    |    Main Street Oakland County Communities

Foodie Tours

Visiting quality Michigan wineries, bakeries, restaurants, breweries, farm markets and u-pick farms brings you closer to all that Michigan has to offer. Take time to enjoy the local taste of Pure Michigan food.


Heritage Tours

A Michigan heritage tour will guide you through the buildings where the automotive industry began and more. They will even lead you to the sites where battle lines were drawn and where international borders were formed.


Wine and Beer Trails

For those who love the finer tastes in life, a trip to Pure Michigan Wine and Beer Trails is a perfect vacation destination. You’ll be surprised at how many are available!


Lighthouse Tours

Michigan has more lighthouses than any other state and all of them have a unique look and story, making it the perfect place for a summer lighthouse tour.


Beach Towns

You’ll fall in love with Michigan’s beach towns all along the west coast of the state, from the small town charm to the breathtaking scenery.

Crossing the Canada/U.S. Border:

Entry into Canada:Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.

Entry into U.S.: For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Driver’s License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)–compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

Click here to download the PDF "Crossing Made Easy"