National Trust for Historic Preservation/Rockefeller Brothers Fund Pocantico Center Preservation Fellowship
The National Trust for Historic Preservation is accepting applications for the National Trust for Historic Preservation/Rockefeller Brothers Fund Pocantico Center Fellowship (the Pocantico Center Preservation Fellowship) for 2016. Applications are available online and are due April 1, 2016.
The Pocantico Center Preservation Fellowship is a two-week residential fellowship in historic preservation that provides the opportunity to reside and work in the historic Marcel Breuer House at Pocantico Hills, NY. In 2016, the residency will be from Monday, July 11, 2016 through Friday, July 22, 2016. The Pocantico Center Preservation Fellowship is structured to provide professionals with two weeks of dedicated time to devote to a defined project with significant benefit to the preservation field. The Pocantico Center Preservation Fellowship is funded by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
"The Pocantico Center Preservation Fellowship provided a tremendous and valuable opportunity to spend quality time in an uninterrupted and retreat environment in order to concentrate and offer critical thinking toward my project’s completion … It’s a beautiful house and setting in which to have a rare opportunity to live, even if as brief as nearly two weeks." ~ 2015 Pocantico Fellow, Adrian Scott Fine, Director of Advocacy, Los Angeles Conservancy
The project must be of significant benefit to the preservation field, such as, by example, work on a book, long article, or key speech/presentation on
- the future of preservation
- sustainability and historic preservation
- re-imagining historic sites
- urban issues and preservation
- gentrification and density
- other topic of key importance to the preservation field
- The Fellowship will be a 10 day to two-week residency at the Marcel Breuer House at Pocantico Hills, NY in July 2016.
- In addition to lodging, Rockefeller Brothers Fund will provide approximately $125 per week for food
- Transportation to and from New York City will be provided by Rockefeller Brothers Fund via reimbursement to the selected resident
- National Trust will reimburse other reasonable transportation costs, including the cost of travel to New York City
- Compliance with all rules for residency at the Pocantico Center
Application and Eligibility:
- Applications will be accepted from professionals in preservation or related fields
- Deadline is April 1, 2016 for the July 2016 Fellowship
- All applicants will be notified by early May
- The Pocantico Center Fellow for 2016 will be selected by the Pocantico Center Preservation Fellowship Selection Committee
- Commitment to live at Breuer House for the residential period
- Willingness to speak at the Pocantico Center upon request
- Willingness to engage with conferees and other participants at Pocantico Center events
- Final written product or report
- Short written reflection on the value of the Pocantico Center Preservation Fellowship
- A public presentation at the National Trust and/or at the Pocantico Center after the project to report on the work
- National Trust for Historic Preservation staff are NOT eligible
Interested candidates must complete the online application by Friday, April 1, 2016.
If you have questions about the residency program, please contact Elaine Bryant at the National Trust for Historic Preservation.