Revised as of: July 31, 2013
1. Copyright; Use of Content. COPYRIGHT 2013 National Trust for Historic Preservation in the United States, 2600 Virginia Avenue NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20037. All rights reserved.
Some materials on the Websites may contain other proprietary notices and copyright information relating to those materials. All photographs, information, materials and other content contained on the Websites are owned by the National Trust, its contributors or licensors. These Websites contain original works of authorship that are the proprietary property of the National Trust, its contributors or licensors, and which are protected under U.S. and International Copyright Laws. It is prohibited to copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, distribute, alter or prepare any derivative works of any material from the Websites, including without limitation, code, software, photographs, graphics and images, without the prior express written consent of the National Trust, or as stated on the material.
If permission is given to use any material, such permission to use, copy and distribute materials delivered from the Websites is hereby granted under the following conditions:
This Section 1 (including the above copyright notice and this permission notice) must appear in all copies;
a) Any use of the materials available from the Websites must be for informational purposes only and in no instance for commercial purposes; and
b) No materials available from the Websites can be modified in any way.
2. Notice for Claims of Copyright Infringement. Pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, if you believe that your work has been posted on the Websites without your permission and infringes upon your copyright, please submit written or e-mail notice to the National Trust’s designated agent with the following information:
a) A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyrighted work that is allegedly infringed;
b) A description of the copyrighted work that you claim to have been infringed;
c) A description of the location of the material that you claim to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity, including the URL of the location on the Websites;
d) Your address, telephone number, and, if available, e-mail address;
e) A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
f) A statement by you, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the above notice is accurate, and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
The National Trust’s designated agent is: Julia Rocchi, National Trust for Historic Preservation, 1785 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20036, (202) 588-6047, email@example.com. If you knowingly materially misrepresent that material or activity is infringing upon a copyright on the Websites, you may be liable for any damages, including costs and attorneys’ fees, incurred by the National Trust as a result of the National Trust’s reliance upon such misrepresentation.
3. Trademarks. National Trust for Historic Preservation, National Trust, and all other names and logos of the National Trust programs, affiliates, subsidiaries, and historic sites referenced herein are trademarks of the National Trust for Historic Preservation in the United States. All rights reserved to the National Trust for Historic Preservation in the United States. Unauthorized use of any National Trust trademark or logo may be a violation of federal and state law.
4. Information Warranty Disclaimer. ALL MATERIALS AND RELATED GRAPHICS PROVIDED BY THE WEBSITES AND ANY OTHER MATERIALS WHICH ARE REFERENCED BY OR LINKED TO THE WEBSITES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. THE NATIONAL TRUST HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS WITH REGARD TO ANY MATERIALS PROVIDED BY THE WEBSITES OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS WHICH ARE REFERENCED BY OR LINKED TO THE WEBSITES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. THE NATIONAL TRUST DOES NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY, QUALITY, CONTENT, OR LEGALITY OF ANY MATERIALS PROVIDED BY THE WEBSITES OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS THAT ARE REFERENCED BY OR LINKED TO THE WEBSITES AND ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THE MATERIALS PROVDED BY THE WEBSITES OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS WHICH ARE REFERENCED BY OR LINKED TO THE WEBSITES. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE NATIONAL TRUST BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF INFORMATION CONTAINED IN ANY MATERIALS PROVIDED BY THE WEBSITES OR IN ANY OTHER MATERIALS WHICH ARE REFERENCED BY OR LINKED TO THE WEBSITES, UNDER ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY USED.
5. Disclaimer of Endorsements. Any mention of a product, service, company or sole proprietor in the Websites or in links to the Websites shall not constitute nor be construed as an endorsement of any such product, service, company or sole proprietor by the National Trust.
6. Registration. You may be required to create an account and may be designated a username and password to access certain sections or functions of the Websites. Registered users agree to:
a) Provide true, accurate and complete information about yourself;
b) Maintain and promptly update your registration data to keep it accurate and current;
c) Not submit personal identifiable information if you are less than 13 years old;
d) Maintain the confidentiality of your username and password; and
e) Immediately notify the National Trust of any unauthorized use of your username and password.
You understand and agree that you will be solely responsible for any and all uses of your username and password, and you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the National Trust from any loss or damage arising from unauthorized use of your username and password.
7. No Legal or Professional Advice. The information and materials made available on the Websites are designed to provide general and useful information in regard to the subject matters covered. The information is made available with the understanding that the National Trust is not engaged in rendering legal or other professional services. If legal or professional advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.
8. Content Posted by Third Parties. The Websites may provide the opportunity to share information through blogs, online discussions, and other means. The National Trust encourages you to respect others and their opinions and to be succinct when posting on the Websites. Any party who posts information to the Websites agrees not to:
a) Post any material which is: (i) defamatory, obscene, harassing, libelous, abusive threatening or harmful in anyway, (ii) about candidates for political office, (iii) in violation of the privacy or publicity rights of any other person, (iv) irrelevant or off-topic, (v) spam or unauthorized advertising, (vi) containing of viruses, corrupted files or other material that may cause damage to another computer, the Websites, or servers, (vii) a violation of any copyright or trademark, or (viii) a violation of any law or regulation;
b) Falsify or delete author attributions, legal notices or other proprietary designations; or
c) Represent himself or herself as someone else, including employees and representatives of the National Trust.
Any party who posts information to the Websites represents that it is the sole owner of all rights in the materials posted by him/her (including all related copyrights) or that the posting party has the absolute right to license their use as provided in this section. While the posting party will retain ownership of the copyright in the materials he/she posts, the posting party agrees that all of the materials he/she posts shall become part of a database, and that the National Trust will own the compilation copyright in that database. The posting party acknowledges that any postings are public and not confidential, and the posting party has no reasonable expectation of privacy when posting on the Websites. The posting party hereby grants to the National Trust a perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, and distribute its posting on the Websites, any portion of such posting and any derivative works created from such posting, in print, electronic and other media, by any means now known or developed in the future. The National Trust may sublicense all of its rights and licenses or assign them to third parties. Neither the National Trust nor any third party using the posting in accordance with this section will be obligated to pay the posting party any royalties or other compensation for use of the posting. The National Trust shall have no duty to attribute authorship of the posting to the posting party. The National Trust shall not be obligated to enforce any form of attribution by third parties.
9. Links to National Trust Websites. The use of links to the Websites located on other websites or contained in e-mails or other electronic formats must comply with the following:
a) The appearance, position and other aspects of the link to the Websites may not be such as to damage or dilute the goodwill associated with the National Trust’s names and trademarks;
b) The appearance, position, and other attributes of the link may not create the false appearance that your organization or entity is sponsored by, affiliated with, endorsed by, or otherwise associated with the National Trust; and
c) The National Trust reserves the right to revoke its consent to the link at any time and in its sole discretion.
11. Contests. Occasionally the National Trust conducts online contests or competitions (“contests”). Contests are void where prohibited, regulated, or where prior state or local registration is required. Where prizes are awarded, contest winners are solely responsible for applicable taxes. Unless expressly stated in posted contest rules, participants in contests based on online voting are limited to one vote per person. The National Trust reserves the right to determine, in its sole discretion, whether contestants have abided by the one-vote-per-person rule. Where voting is based on individual email registrations, the National Trust may qualify or discount votes from email accounts that the National Trust determines are not fully active at the time votes are tallied. The National Trust may also disqualify or discount votes from emails using temporary or disposable email addressing (DEA) services, which may be used to hide multiple votes from individuals. Validation of any winner or winners of online contests shall be determined in the sole discretion of the National Trust.
12. Updates. The National Trust may update or make changes to the materials provided on the Websites at any time without notice; however, the National Trust makes no commitment to update the information contained herein, and makes no representation or warranty concerning the accuracy of any information.