Lee-Fendall House Museum & Garden
Visitor Information614 Oronoco Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
National Trust for Historic Preservation Member Discount: $1.00 off general admission 10% discount on museum shop purchases
One of only a few surviving examples of Maryland Telescopic architecture, the Lee-Fendall House Museum was home to several generations of the prominent Lee Family of Virginia from 1785-1903. During the Civil War, it served as a hospital for the Union Army. It is believed that the first successful blood transfusion in America was performed here in 1864. Modern mechanical systems were installed by the Downham family, resident between 1903-37. The prominent labor leader John L. Lewis was the final resident of the home, 1937-69. The present garden was renovated by the Garden Clubs of Virginia in 1974.