The Whaley House Museum

Visitor Information

2482 San Diego Avenue
San Diego, California 92110

Phone: 619-297-7511

National Trust for Historic Preservation Member Discount: $1.00 off admission 10% off merchandise in Museum Shop.


The Whaley House contains more history within its walls than perhaps any other building in San Diego. Built in 1857 by pioneer Thomas Whaley, it served as the Whaley family home, San Diego’s first commercial theater, an early County Courthouse, and Whaley’s general mercantile store, and was the first two-story brick edifice in the city. Known as “America’s Most Haunted House” the museum’s ghostly reputation dates back 150 years to when the Whaley family first occupied the building. Prior to construction, the site upon which the Whaley House stands was used for public hangings.