Alice Austen House
Visitor Information2 Hylan Boulevard
Staten Island, New York 10305
Phone: (718) 816-4506
When opened to the public in 1985, it was the first photographic museum in the United States dedicated to the work of one outstanding photographer. The house, originally a 1691 Dutch farmhouse, was expanded and renovated in the 18th and 19th centuries to reflect Victorian Gothic architecture. Much of Austen's subject matter focused on the grounds, cottage, and surrounding Narrows of New York Harbour that still can be seen today.