Newsday Center for Dove/Torr Studies
Visitor InformationCenterport, New York
Phone: (631) 351-3250
The Dove/Torr Cottage, which originally served (c. 1880-1899) as a post office and general store, is a 970-square-foot, wood-frame house situated on a quarter acre on the banks of Titus Mill Pond. It was purchased by Arthur Dove (1880-1946) and Helen Torr (1886-1967) in 1938 for $980 and was the only home the artists ever owned. Inspired by the cottage's environment, Dove experienced his most prolific and historically-important period of artistic activity in this small cottage. Although Torr herself painted relatively little once her husband became ill, her works remained in the cottage loft. After her death, the Heckscher Museum of Art played a pivotal role in saving and cataloguing her life's work and maintaining the cottage. Upon restoration, the cottage will be the permanent home of the Newsday Center for Dove/Torr Studies.
Open by appointment only through the Heckscher Museum of Art due to ongoing restoration. Call (631) 351-3250 for information.