Philip Johnson Glass House
Visitor Information199 Elm Street
New Canaan, Connecticut 06840
National Trust for Historic Preservation Member Discount: $15 discount on all public tours: one adult for individual Members; two adults and all children under 18 years of age in the immediate family for all other Members. Discount does not apply to other programs and cannot be combined with other offers. National Trust members who purchase tour tickets online can receive a refund for their discount by presenting proof of membership at the Glass House Visitor Center.
The Glass House, designed by architect Philip Johnson, was a remarkable achievement when it was completed in 1949. It began an odyssey of architectural experimentation in forms, materials, and ideas through the addition of many new "pavilions" -- Guest House, Lake Pavilion, Painting Gallery, Sculpture Gallery, Ghost House, Studio, and Visitors Pavilion -- and the methodical sculpting of the surrounding landscape.
The 47-acre campus is an example of the successful preservation and interpretation of modern architecture, landscape, and art. Inspired by Mies van der Rohe's Farnsworth House, the Glass House’s exterior walls are made of glass with no interior walls, a radical departure from houses of the time.
The Glass House is owned and operated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.