Hotel de Paris Museum
Visitor Information409 6th St.
Georgetown, Colorado 80444
National Trust for Historic Preservation Member Discount: Fifty percent discount on regular public tours: one adult for individual Members; two adults and all children under 18 years of age in the immediate family for all other Members. Discount does not apply to other programs and cannot be combined with other offers.
Prior to the Leadville strike of 1878, the Georgetown region was the most important source of silver in Colorado and briefly attracted so many residents that it was one of the most populous cities in the state.
Because the wealth of the mining district was centered in Georgetown, the architecture reflects the families’ attempts to reproduce the lifestyle of their more established home states and includes a rich variety of substantial late Victorian-era buildings. The repeal of the Sherman Act in 1893 led to a collapse of silver prices and brought a cataclysmic end to the boom.
The Hotel de Paris was in the midst of this mining frontier while operating as a hotel, boarding house, residence, restaurant, and showroom for traveling salesmen from the 1870s to the 1930s. Louis Dupuy, a French immigrant, established the Hotel in 1875 and enlarged it to its present appearance by 1893.
In 1903, Sarah Burkholder acquired the Hotel and operated it with her daughter Hazel McAdams as a boarding house until 1939. It was acquired by the Colonial Dames of Colorado in 1954 as a historic preservation project and restored to its 1890s appearance as a historic site museum.
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Colorado owns and operates the Hotel de Paris Museum.