Gaylord Building

Visitor Information

200 West 8th Street
Lockport, Illinois 60441

Phone: 815-588-1100

National Trust for Historic Preservation Member Discount: Fifty percent discount on regular public tours: one adult for individual Members; two adults and all children under 18 years of age in the immediate family for all other Members. Discount does not apply to other programs and cannot be combined with other offers.

The Gaylord Building, built in 1838, played a vital role in one of the great enterprises of the 19th century: the digging of the 96-mile-long Illinois and Michigan Canal. The canal linked Lake Michigan with the Mississippi River, creating a waterway that opened a prosperous trade route from New York to New Orleans.

This handsome limestone warehouse stored construction materials for the canal. In later decades the building was used for grain storage, a general store, and a plumbing supply house, and was expanded with Greek Revival-style and Italianate additions. In 1987, descendents of George Gaylord, one of the former owners, rehabilitated the building, and it became a model for preserving historic sites for new uses.

The Gaylord Building is owned and operated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

Visit the Gaylord Building on Facebook.