Richard Bergmann was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1935. After serving in the United States Army from 1954?57, he received a Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Illinois in 1961. During his studies, Bergmann wrote a term paper on the New Canaan Modern Houses, establishing his early interest in becoming part of the architectural movement in New Canaan. After graduation, he worked for Urbahn & Brayton (later Urbahn, Roberts, Seelye & Moran) in New York City, a firm known for their numerous government commissions, including the Vertical Assembly Building and the Launch Control Center at Cape Canaveral, Florida. In the mid?1960s, he left the firm and traveled the world with his wife, Sandra, to study timber construction. The couple worked their way through Europe, Africa, and the Near East during 1964 and 1965, allowing Bergmann to study a range of architectural styles. Upon returning to the United States, he settled in New Canaan, Connecticut.
During his first three years in New Canaan, Bergmann worked for Christ-Janer, Johansen & Kouzmanof Associates and Eliot Noyes & Associates. In 1967, he founded Richard Bergmann Architects. Bergmann's wide-ranging firm has worked on commercial, ecclesiastical, residential, restoration, and adaptive reuse projects in New Canaan include the innovative Latham House (1968) and the restoration of the 1836 Greek Revival Ayres-Perkins House for his office and residence (1973-1977), which received the Connecticut Society of Architects/AIA Honor Award. He was elected as a member of the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects in 1982.
Bergmann is also a licensed landscape architect and a professional photographer. He has served as chairman of the New Canaan Historic District Commission and has been tirelessly involved in promoting the preservation of New Canaan Modern Houses. In 1994, he became the first recipient of the "Outstanding Service in Historic Preservation" award from the Connecticut Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.