Alcoa House


Charles Goodman


1956


Description

Field survey has not been conducted on this house.


Significance

The Alcoa House was constructed in 1958 as a showcase house for the Aluminum Company of America (Alcoa). Alcoa had hired architect Charles Goodman to design the "Care Free House" to demonstrate the use of aluminum in a dwelling. Approximately forty houses were completed in the United States. The houses utilized aluminum roofing, siding, and windows.

The assessor property street card at the New Canaan Historical Society does not list an owner for the property prior to 1959, but notes that the "Model House" was completed in 1958. The lot was acquired by the Thompson Realty Corp. in 1959 and sold to Kenneth H. and Mary R. McClure on the same day. The assessor noted that the house had a concrete block foundation, a gable roof clad in aluminum, and a glass and aluminum exterior. The house was rectangular in plan with a flagstone terrace screened by a brick wall at the front and a second flagstone terrace at the side. It appears that the original house had three bedrooms and two baths at one side, and a family room, kitchen, and living room on the other side.

Between 1964 and 1965, addition and alterations were completed, including the construction of an interior swimming pool by E.L. Wolner Co. Inc. Although the assessor property cards are unclear, it appears that the addition was 42'x36' and included the swimming pool enclosure and an additional bedroom and bath. An attached garage was also constructed at this time. The terrace and brick wall may have been extended.

In 1981, William R. and Joan P. Martin acquired the property, which was sold to Robert M. Dewey, Jr., and Harriet B. Dewey in 1982. Between 1982 and 1983, a small sunroom was added on to the 1964-65 bedroom addition. In 1987, a second floor was added to the central part of the house along with a 24'x6' wood deck. In 1997, Anil and Enid B. Prasad purchased the property. Sometime in the late 1990s or 2000s, a new three-car garage and entryway were constructed to extend at a right angle off of the front terrace.


National Trust for Historic Preservation, 2009.