Beaven Mills House
Designed by architect William Francis Pedersen, the Beaven Mills House is a one-story (plus basement), flat-roofed house with an irregular plan set on a sloping, wooded site. The house is clad with painted vertical wood siding and there are broad expanses of glass throughout. The house was designed to have separate living and sleeping wings connected by a corridor. The primary entrance to the house is at the north wall of the connecting corridor. Passing through the main entrance to the south side of the corridor, the space opens to a courtyard between the bedroom and living wings. The living wing was designed with a full-height, finished basement level containing guest quarters, and the bedroom wing was designed with three bedrooms.
In 1960, a separate carport was built. A small addition for storage was built adjacent to one of the bedrooms ca. 1970 and the house was fully insulated in 1979. Minor interior alterations took place in 1997 and 1999, when hardwood flooring was installed in the major living areas and the wet bar was remodeled to become a laundry room. In 2004, the wall between the kitchen and the great room was removed and the kitchen was remodeled.
In 1950, Beaven Mills bought an unimproved parcel of land from Chichester Estates, Incorporated. Beaven Mills commissioned architect William Francis Pedersen to design a house for the site. The house was completed in 1956. In 1976, William and Marjorie Hammond bought the parcel. Robert and Virginia Dunbar purchased it in 1992. Five years later, in 1997, Matthew and Erica Siegel bought the parcel and they are currently the owners of record.
The Beaven Mills House appears to be one of the earliest Modern houses built on Chichester Road, a road that had been developed with several Modern houses by 1960. Local architect John Black Lee took an active role in encouraging the development of Modern Houses on Chichester Road; in 1954, Lee purchased twenty acres of land to be subdivided into six parcels with the provision that the new houses built on the lots were Modern, although the Beaven Mills House was not part of this development.