Breuer House 2
Field survey was not conducted on this house.
Breuer House 2 was designed by architect Marcel Breuer for his own family after they decided to move from their original house in New Canaan. Marcel Breuer et. ux. purchased the property in 1951 and the house was completed by the end of the year. The landscaping and terraces were completed in 1952.
Unlike his first house on Sunset Hill Road, Breuer's second house was designed to be grounded rather than floating, and the flat-roofed, one-story structure was clad in fieldstone veneer and glass. The property also had a flat-roofed carport. The house had an U-shaped plan enclosing a courtyard with a flagstone terrace. The plan concentrated the public living spaces (living room and dining room) and master bedroom and bath at one end, the utility spaces (kitchen, utility room, heating room) in the center, and the children's room, bath, and guest rooms at the other end of the house. As in his first house, Breuer used neutral colors on the interior with splashes of bright color provided by artwork and by painting individual walls primary colors.
Breuer House 2 was featured in the New York Times and Holiday Magazine and included in the 1952, 1955, 1957, and 1962 Modern House tours in New Canaan.
In 1975, Gerald O. and Nancy F. Bratti acquired the property. The Brattis hired architect Herbert Beckhard, a longtime associate of Breuer's, to design extensive renovations to the property, which were completed between 1975 and 1982 . The renovations were featured in Architectural Record Houses of 1981. The interior of the house was essentially gutted; a 22'x43' one-story children's wing was constructed and connected to the main house by an enclosed glass-and-stone corridor (1976); and a new garage (1976), swimming pool (1980-81), and a 27'x29' underground poolhouse/guesthouse (1980-81) with an attached greenhouse (1982) were also constructed.
In 1990, Edward N. and Jeanne S. Epstein purchased the house. In 1997, Arlene H. Stern acquired the property. In 2004, development company 628 West Road LLC purchased the house. Robert Bishop acquired the property in 2005, saving it from demolition. The current owners are removing the addition designed by Herbert Beckhart and constructing a new freestanding addition designed by Toshiko Mori.