Sited on a two-acre parcel with mature trees and stone walls, the Crichton House is a one-story, slab-on-grade, wood-frame house with vertical wood siding, a flat roof, and an attached carport. With the attached carport, the five-bedroom house has an L-shaped floor plan.
Glass surfaces were incorporated into the facades with the inclusion of sliding glass doors, fixed plate glass sash, sliding sash, and casement windows. Although the roof is flush with the plane of the walls, it cantilevers beyond the plane of the exterior walls over window bays, including the bays of sliding glass doors at the back of the house. The terraces at the back of the house are paved with square concrete pavers.
Minor alterations include replacement of some original casement sash with aluminum windows. Between 1982 and 1998, two solar panels were added to the roof over the utility room adjacent to the carport.
In 1959, John Crichton purchased an unimproved parcel from Chichester Estates, Incorporated. Crichton and his wife Zula commissioned architect William Landsberg to design a house on the parcel for themselves and their four children. Ted Hobbs was the contractor for the project. The house was completed in 1961. Landscape architects James Fanning and Richard Bergmann are credited for work at the site, but details regarding their designs are not known at this time.
John Crichton passed away in 1977. John and Zula's son, Michael Crichton, was a physician and a popular author; his notable books include Jurassic Park, The Andromeda Strain, Prey, and State of Fear. The house is still held in the Crichton family. No major alterations have been made to the house since its construction and it retains remarkable integrity at both the exterior and the interior.