Frederick Taylor Gates
Built as a small, one-story, flat-roofed house with a square footprint, the Gates House was designed with vertical wood siding, fixed plate glass floor-to-ceiling sash, and glazed wood post-and-rail doors. According to the records of the New Canaan Assessor, the roof cantilevered 3' beyond the plane of the wall at all four facades of the house. The overhang remains at two facades and has exposed wood rafters.
Since its construction, the house has had many additions and alterations. A separate carport and guest cottage (demolished in 2007) were added to the parcel. A corridor was then built to connect the auxiliary structures to the main house. The corridor addition is set on concrete block foundations with vertical wood siding and fixed clerestory and plate glass windows. Later, the primary entrance was modified to have a dramatic entry canopy supported by a single column and a fin-shaped roof. The entry also has beveled corner glass windows and fixed plate glass sash. A stone wall frames a planting area at the front of the house. Alterations and additions dating from 2007 include a large in-law apartment with two bedrooms, a combined living/dining/kitchen space, separate bathroom, and closets. Also, the original carport was enclosed to become a garage, and the space formerly built as a guest cottage was replaced with an office space.
In 1951, architect Frederick Taylor Gates of the firm Gates and Ford Architectural and Planning Associates purchased a parcel of land to build his own house. By 1952, the small, three-bedroom house with a small, separate wood-frame, flat-roofed tool shed was complete. In 1955, Gates added a carport and guest cottage with two bedrooms.
In 1961, Jason D. Floria purchased the parcel. In 1965, the property was transferred to Audrey A. Floria, who maintained the property until it was purchased in 1992 by the current owners, Mark and Katherine Markiewicz. Mark Markiewicz is an architect and has made several additions and alterations to the house. Although the original house is still relatively intact as one wing of a much larger house, the original, modest Gates House property has been altered too much to meet integrity requirements for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.