Field survey was not conducted on this house.
The Goldberg House is located on the site of the former Campbell House, which was designed by John Johansen, constructed by Ted Haupt, and completed in 1952. The Campbell House was built for Paschall and Betsy Dawley Campbell. Paschall Campbell was a landscape architect who designed the landscape for Lee House 2 (1956, Lee) and for his own house. The Campbell House was featured in an August 1956 article in House & Home. The one-story, flat-roofed house was set on piers on a stone platform and had an H-shaped plan with a recessed entry porch and a rear courtyard. The entry and courtyard divided the house in two, with the public spaces (living room, dining room, and kitchen) on one side, and the private spaces (master bedroom and bath, and two other bedrooms and a bath) on the other side. The house was clad in glass and plywood.
In 1966, Alan E. and Gertrude S. Goldberg acquired the property. According to Alan Goldberg, around 1976, he essentially demolished the house, only leaving the rough framing, partly to increase the amount of living space and partly because of recurring maintenance problems. The original house had apparently been designed with low-cost materials to keep the budget low (Fine Homebuilding, June/July 1981, 51).
Goldberg designed a new house more than double in size to the original and had it constructed by builder Fredrick De Finis. The Goldbergs lived on site while the house was being reconstructed. Goldberg planned a new design that would be reminiscent of the original house: "We decided that the new house should be designed in the same spirit as the existing house. Even though it was a small house with a simple plan, I appreciated the thought that went into the original design" (Fine Homebuilding, June/July 1981, 52). The Goldberg House was completed in 1977. This house has an off-set H-shaped plan with wood decks on three sides. In the center of the house is an entry vestibule and a family room (the former courtyard). One side contains the living room, dining room, kitchen, and study, and the other side contains a master bedroom and bath, and two other bedrooms and a bath. This plan is similar to the original plan of the house. A carport was constructed on the site in 1979. In October 2007, construction began on an addition designed by Goldberg that will be connected to the house by a glassed-in bridge.