Sherwood, Mills and Smith
The Mills House is set on a natural knoll on a rocky, wooded site with a stream running along the edge of the property. The original house was a low, long structure with a shallow gable roof and V-channel vertical wood siding. The main entrance is at one intersection of the T-shaped plan. A brick wall steps down adjacent to the path leading to the front entrance.The entry foyer has a large fixed window overlooking a flagstone terrace at the rear. At one leg of the "T" is a prow and at the top of the "T" is a window wall overlooking another terrace protected by a deep overhang and a brise-soleil. The interior brick wall in the living room encompassing the fireplace forms an extending end wall that borders the terrace, blurring the line between interior and exterior space.
The additions to the house, completed in 1992, were designed using the same materials, but are more eclectic in their plan and detailing, including triangular bay windows and bumped-out window bays.
The Mills House was constructed in 1950 for Barbara and James Mills. James Mills acquired the property in 1950 and hired architects Sherwood, Mills & Smith to design a house. The builder on the project was Ted Hobbs. According to the current owner, the Mills had a child with cerebral palsy, so the house was designed to accommodate the child's needs. The assessor records indicate that the house was ready for plastering in October 1950 and was likely finished by the end of 1950 or in 1951.
In 1951, the assessor found a one-story cabin with a bar and screened porch in the "back land." It is unknown if this cabin predated the house or was part of Sherwood, Mills & Smith's design. It was destroyed by fire in 1980.
In 1963, Alison P. Cullinan (later McKee) acquired the property. In 1980, Jacob T. and Bette J. Chachkes purchased the house. The Chachkes built a large addition to the house in 1992 consisting of a two-car garage, an expanded kitchen, additional living space, a wood deck, and a screened porch. All of the windows were replaced and several of the openings on the existing house were bumped out to create bay windows. The exterior siding, which had been painted when the Chachkes acquired the property, was replaced in kind but left unpainted.