Philip Johnson Glass House
The Glass House was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1997. Given the depth of research already completed on this property, resources were devoted instead to the remainder of the Modern houses in New Canaan. The follow timeline excerpted from the Philip Johnson Glass House website outlines the basic history of the property.
1945: Philip Johnson began schematic design of the Glass House ca. 1945: Johnson purchased five acres in New Canaan, CT 1947: Johnson finalized design of the Glass House 1948: Groundbreaking for the Glass House and Brick House 1949: The Glass House and Brick House completed 1953: Brick House floor plan remodeled 1955: Pool completed 1960: David Whitney and Philip Johnson met, Whitney visited the Glass House 1962: Lake Pavilion completed 1965: Painting Gallery completed 1970: Sculpture Gallery completed ca. 1980: Entrance Gate completed 1980: Library/Study completed 1981: David Whitney purchases Calluna Farms 1981-2005: Calluna Farms remodeled 1984: Ghost House completed 1985: Lincoln Kirstein Tower completed; Brick House bathroom remodeled 1986: Philip Johnson donates the Glass House to the National Trust for Historic Preservation, retaining a life estate 1990: David Whitney purchases Grainger 1995: Da Monsta completed ca. 1996: Popestead remodeled ca. 1999: Grainger remodeled 2005: Philip Johnson dies on January 25, at age 98 2005: David Whitney dies on June 12, at age 66; as directed, his New York and Connecticut estates support the National Trust's preservation and programming of the Philip Johnson Glass House 2007: The National Trust for Historic Preservation opens the Philip Johnson Glass House to the public