Confucius Church and Community CenterEl Centro, Imperial County, California
Period of significance: 1940
This is the only building that remains from the once thriving Chinese American community in the town. The Chinese were prevented from participating in mining and agriculture, so they became small storekeepers and tradesmen. The building originally had four doorways, flanked by large store windows, to house four small stores, but has been altered to include only two doorways and the windows have been painted over. The one-story brick building dates from 1940.