El Alisal (Lummis House)Los Angeles, California
Website: http://www.eamesoffice.com; www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Eames_Hous
Period of significance: 1896 - 1910
El Alisal, home of Charles F. Lummis, southwestern author, librarian, historian and archeologist, was built to "last for a thousand years."
Built with his own hands, El Alisal was given that Spanish name for the giant Sycamore which grows beside the house.
El Alisal was constructed with granite boulders and concrete between 1896 and 1910.
Lummis was born in Lynn. Mass., on March 1, 1859. He graduated from Harvard in 1881, where he had published and sold 12,000 copies of his poems, printed on birch bark. In 1884, Lummis walked from Cinncinati to Los Angeles, a distance of 3,000 miles, sending accounts of his progress to the Los Angeles Times, where her was made first city editor on his arrival. The city's population was 12,000 at that time. Lummis also founded the Southwest Museum, which opened to the public in 1914. This site is associated with Charles F. Lummis.