Ah Louis Store
Visitor InformationSan Luis Obispo, California
Period of significance: 1874 - 1974
In 1874, Chinese merchant and labor contractor On Wong, better known as Ah Louis, built this two-story brick rectangular store to serve the Chinese laborers in the vicinity and especially those working on the railroad tunnels over the Cuesta Grade from 1884-94. The bricks were made in his own brickyard. This is the oldest known family store in the county. In 1974 his descendant Howard Louis operated the store at 800 Palm St.